It may seem strange to say it but having depression has actually taught me some useful things about myself, others and life in general. Here are the 5 things I’ve learned from having depression;
- It’s okay to put yourself first, in fact, sometimes you need to do that.
- Healthy relationships are based on mutual benefit. If a relationship is too one-sided it can be stressful and draining.
- I need to be more assertive and start putting my foot down when it comes to people wanting me to do things for them if I don’t want to.
- It’s okay to ask for help, I used to be very quiet and do everything for myself and never asked for help even when I needed it but sometimes my depression gets me so down that I can’t do anything for myself and have no choice but to get help. It’s surprised me how supportive and willing people are to help me.
- Sometimes I push myself too much and need to know my limits.
Song of the day: Try by P!NK