So, I was introduced to this tag by a fellow blogger called beccadoeslifethings (I’ll leave a link to her version of this tag at the end of this blog post)
What I’ve basically got to do is answer some questions about my mental illness in order to help spread awareness and hopefully answer questions you may be too afraid to ask. Some of these questions from beccadoeslifethings post and others are from my friends. Alright then, let’s get started;
- What mental illness do you have? – I have depression, so the answers to the rest of these questions will be depression related.
- When were you diagnosed? – I was diagnosed in October 2015 although this is the second time I have come down with depression.
- What are common reasons for people to have this mental illness? – I would say prolonged stress and pressure that has not been managed properly and/or a traumatic experience. However there are theories that mental illnesses like depression can be genetic but I don’t know that for certain.
- What are some methods of fighting this mental illness?- Well I take medication (20mg of fluoxetine a day) and I see a counsellor approximately once a month. There are some foods that can help increase serotonin levels ( a hormone which people with depression have a lack of) I would suggest Green tea and dark chocolate.
- A common misconception about your mental illness? – That depression is like having a bad day and that you can just simply “cheer up” or “pull yourself together” and believe me if it were that simple I would not be writing this blog today so… there you go.
6. What helps you cope with this mental illness? – I blog. Blogging is what gets me up in the morning and doing something so I would have something to blog about, It allows me to vent my feelings anonymously so I can be as honest as I like. It’s very therapeutic because it allows me to process my thoughts and feelings as I write and I am not keeping everything to myself.
7. How did you open up to family/friends about your MI? -Not all of my family knows about my depression, only close family. I opened up with friends over facebook messaging because it’s easier to deal with than in person but not all of my friends know either. Actually I think my followers and readers know more about my depression than anyone of them do.
8. How does your MI affect your daily life?- It makes it hard for me to take care of myself properly and I have difficulty getting to sleep and getting up in the mornings, I sometimes have disturbed sleep. I have lost interest in most things and my attention span is poor ( I can get easily distracted)
9.What do you find most difficult to deal with? – Pressure, if I feel under pressure to do something a certain way by outside forces I feel like I’ve lost control of things and causes me to become panicky, irritable and lethargic.
10. Any message or Advice?- I would say, take each day as it comes and try not to think too far into the future, focus on getting through today and take on tomorrow when you get to it. Also don’t keep things bottled up, venting your feelings in any way that you are not keeping it to yourself can be very helpful.
So that’s it! I hope this post has opened your eyes to what it’s like to live with a mental illness. If you would like to make your own version of this tag then please do, the more people we get talking about mental illness the better.
Thank you to my friends for asking me some of these questions and to beccadoeslifethings (link below) for bringing this tag to my attention.